Footy star George Burgess under investigation

Rugby league star George Burgess is being investigated by  Police and the Integrity Unit after an alleged road rage incident.

The English forward, who is headed to NRL club St George Illawarra next season, is alleged to have left his vehicle in Wollongong on the NSW south coast after noticing he was being filmed by another person in a truck on Monday night. 

Burgess, 29, has reportedly identified the person in the truck as the aggressor in the incident. 

simply click the following page English international allegedly got out of his car, took the phone off the other person and threw it onto the road, resulting in police being notified.

Rugby league star George Burgess is pictured with his wife Joanna, with whom he has three children

Burgess reacts after leaving an NRL Judiciary hearing during the 2019 season

St George Illawarra told the NRL integrity unit after police were informed of the incident. 

‘St George Illawarra are aware of an alleged road incident involving 2022 recruit George Burgess,’ the club said in a statement. 

‘As the police are currently investigating the matter, the Dragons will be making no further comment at this stage.’

Burgess arrived back in Australia and went into hotel quarantine in late July, after signing on to play with the St George Illawarra Dragons until 2023.

The 29-year-old British expat arrived with his family after playing for the Wigan Warriors in the English SuperLeague for the past year. 


Share this article


The family, however, had to serve the quarantine period in separate hotels, with George and his son Boston, four, staying in one hotel, while his wife Joanna and their other two children, Birdie and Blainey, were quarantining in another. 

The powerful forward had recently undergone surgery for a recurring hip injury as he seeks to revive his career in the NRL. 

‘Hopefully (I’ll) bounce back to my best after the recent surgery by getting super fit again and playing good footy,’ he said of his return to the NRL. 

Burgess recently arrived back in Australia and went into hotel quarantine after signing on to play with the St George Illawarra Dragons until 2023

George Burgess with son Boston during his quarantine period after returning to Australia.

His family were separated during the quarantine period 

George’s twin brother Thomas plays in the NRL with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, while older brother and former player Sam had recently been seen in the latest series of SAS Australia. 

George played 150 games for the Rabbitohs from 2012 until 2019.

At one stage his eldest brother Luke, Sam and twin brother Thomas were all at the club at the same time. 

The alleged incident follows a scandal-plagued week for the NRL. 

Bulldogs forward asked to leave a Gold Coast venue last Sunday after he went to the toilets with women’s rugby league player Millie Boyle.

Centre was also sacked by the Canberra Raiders after his involvement in a nightclub incident in May. 

Leave a Reply